Political Department Administrative Assistant
Employer: The Public Interest Network
Location: Los Angeles, California
Job Function: Administrative / Clerical, Advocacy / Lobbying, Public Policy / Administration
Focus Areas: Agriculture / Food / Nutrition, Civil Rights / Advocacy, Environment, Government, Healthcare
Position Type: Full Time
Degree Level: Bachelors
Experience Level: Administrative
Public Interest Network Political Department Assistant:
The Public Interest Network is home to more than 16 organizations, including PIRG, Environment America and the National Environmental Law Center. Each of our groups has its own mission, whether it’s environmental litigation, consumer advocacy, research or training new organizers. The 500-plus staff in our network share a vision of a better country, a set of core values about our work, and a coordinated strategic approach to getting things done.
We also share a great track record. Over the past 45 years, our staff have worked on hundreds of projects and campaigns at the local, state, national and corporate levels. Because of the laws and other policies we’ve won, people are buying healthier and safer products, getting more of our energy from the sun and the wind, drinking cleaner water and breathing cleaner air ... the list just goes on. But every day brings a new challenge or new opportunity. That’s why right now we’re hiring.
Most of the organizations in the Public Interest Network primarily make a difference through education and organizing to shape public opinion. And the organizations lobby corporations and government for clean, green solutions to environmental and social problems.
But some of our organizations also work to elect good candidates for public office. Elections are the most immediate and obvious determinant of what government will do about problems we face. We approach electoral politics in the same way we approach all of our programs. We want to elect people who will help us make change on issues we care about, without regard to party affiliation. And we apply our resources where we think they will make the most difference. We strategically deploy people power to build the organizing machine needed to turn out voters.
Our expertise is door-to-door, face-to-face voter contact programs, which many studies have shown to be the most effective means of turning out voters. Over the last decade, our election programs have knocked on more than 5 million doors and talked to close to 2 million voters. In 2016, Environment America, Fair Share and other partner groups invested more than $8 million on election programs. That work included door-to-door field work, donations to other independent expenditure groups, and direct contributions from Environment America Voter Action to candidates and party committees.
Our political team helped put this all in place.
The Public Interest Network is looking for a Political Department Assistant to help expand our political network and manage our electoral programs. Representative responsibilities include:
- Database and list management: Build, update, segment, and maintain excellent lists of friends and allies;
- Communications: Manage regular communications (updates, newsletters, annual reports, cultivation mailings) with our top contacts via email and snail mail, including managing the schedule, budget, administration, and writing and editing updates as needed;
- Conference attendance and management: Manage network staff participation in key conferences and events, including building and maintaining national list of conferences and events network staff should attend, proposing attendance, organizing coordination calls, getting reports back, and managing conference budget;
- Event organizing: Assist with event organizing, including fundraising, visibility, and cultivation events. Responsibilities may include assisting with programming, recruitment, and logistics; and
- Political Network staff will also participate in other aspects of organizational development including but not limited to ongoing fundraising, recruitment, and training.
We are looking for skilled candidates who are passionate about making an impact on the future of our country and have an appreciation for the importance of activism and organizing. Specifically, we’re looking for candidates with:
- Excellent project management skills;
- Strong administrative skills, with an excellent attention to detail. Also must be able to manage lists and complex databases;
- The ability to work independently and creatively, as well as take direction and work well as part of a team; and
- Ambition to advance to higher levels of responsibility.
- Candidates should be college graduates and demonstrated work experience, paid or unpaid, in political or social change work.
Compensation & Benefits: Target annual compensation for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate has. The Public Interest Network offers a competitive benefits package.
Location: Los Angeles, CA
To Apply: Visit www.publicinterestnetwork.org/page/pin/apply and fill out the online form.
Please visit http://www.publicinterestnetwork.org/core-values.html to learn what you should know about the network before you apply.
The Public Interest Network is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, disability, pregnancy or veteran status. The Public Interest Network will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
• Post ID: 144698652 la